TAKE NOTICE that a Ratification Vote of the Voters of Long Plain First Nation pursuant to the Voting Guidelines of the 1916 Surrender – Mismanagement of Sales Specific Claim Settlement Agreement (the “Voting Guidelines”) will be held on SUNDAY, August 1, 2021 to determine if the Voters of Long Plain First Nation approve and assent to the 1916 Surrender Specific Claim Settlement Agreement (the “Settlement Agreement”) between Canada and Long Plain First Nation summarized in this Notice and attached as Appendix “A” and the Trust Agreement attached as Appendix “B”.
The following Ballot Question will be asked of the Voters of LONG PLAIN FIRST NATION by secret ballot, as set out in Schedule “3” to the Settlement Agreement:
As a Voter of the Long Plain First Nation, do you:
- agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Long Plain First Nation 1916 Surrender – Mismanagement of Sales Settlement Agreement initialed by the negotiators for the First Nation and Canada, which settles and releases the Long Plain First Nation 1916 Surrender – Mismanagement of Sales Specific Claim;
- agree to all of the terms and conditions of the restated Ga Gi Noosh Ko Deaag Trust Agreement;
- authorize and direct the Council of the First Nation to sign all documents and do everything necessary to give effect to the Long Plain First Nation 1916 Surrender – Mismanagement of Sales Settlement Agreement and the restated Ga Gi Noosh Ko Deaag Trust Agreement?
Information Meeting(s) for purposes of the Ratification Vote will be held on
WEDNESDAY, JULY 7, 2021 10 AM VIA VIRTUAL
The Ratification Vote will take place on
SUNDAY, AUGUST 1, 2021 at KEESHKEEMAQUAH
FROM 9:00 AM TO 8:00 PM
Included with this Notice of Ratification Vote are copies of the Settlement Agreement (without the Voting Guidelines and forms), the Trust Agreement, and such other information as the Long Plain First Nation Council determines.
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE that a Voters List is posted with this Notice of Ratification Vote. Sections 5.3 and 5.4 of the Voting Guidelines provide:
5.3 A Member may apply to the Ratification Officer before the Voting Day to have the Voters List revised if such Member believes that:
- the name of a Voter has been omitted from the Voters List; or
- the name of a Voter is incorrectly set out or should not be included on the Voters List.
- A Member of the First Nation may, before the close of the polls on the Voting Day, apply to the Ratification Officer to have their name added to the Voters List if that Member provides:
- proof of eligibility to vote by completing the Declaration of Membership and Eligibility to Vote Form substantially in the form of Appendix D. This proof shall include documentation that verifies that the Voter’s name is recorded on the Band List, and that the Voter is at least eighteen years old on the date of the Ratification Vote and not disqualified from voting at band elections.
- Upon receipt and confirmation of the information in the Declaration of Membership and Eligibility to Vote form, the Ratification Officer will revise the Voters List.
DATED at Long Plain First Nation, in the Province of Manitoba, this 23 day of June, 2021.
An application for an amendment to the Voters List or a request for a copy of the Voting Guidelines or forms should be made to the Ratification Officer at:
PO BOX 430, PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, MB R1N 3B7
1-204-252-2731 ext. 115 or Toll-Free Number: 1-888-268-6438
Signature of Ratification Officer for
Long Plain First Nation
ELECTRONIC VOTING & ADVANCE POLLING STATIONS DATES AND LOCATION
Each polling station will open at 9 am and close at 8 pm
|Date and Time of Electronic Voting:|
|Registration for Electronic Voting begins:||Friday, July 9, 2021|
|Registration for Electronic Voting ends:||5:00 pm Manitoba time on August 1, 2021|
|Electronic Voting begins:||Friday, July 9, 2021|
|Electronic Voting ends:||8:00 pm Manitoba time on August 1, 2021|
|Date and Location of the Advance Polling Stations:|
|Location of Polling Station||Dates of Polling Stations|
|Long Plain: Pow wow Arbor||Thursday, July 29, 2021|
|Winnipeg: Holiday Inn Express, Ellice Ave.||Friday, July 30, 2021|
|Brandon: Victoria Inn||Saturday, July 31, 2021|
|Keeshkeemaquah: Gaming Centre Bingo Hall||Vote Day: Sunday, August 1, 2021|