POSITION: School Principal – Full Time, Annual Contract
LOCATION: Long Plain School, Long Plain First Nation
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Long Plain First Nation (LPFN) School is inviting applications for the position of School Principal for the Long Plain School. LPFN School offers educational and instructional services to the children of LPFN. LPS school ranges from Nursery/Kindergarten to Grade 8, with a Nominal Roll of 200 hundred students and 50 staff members. The School Principal is the primary leader of the school’s day-to-day operations and leads the instructional and support staff to ensure the delivery of the school program is led and managed effectively and efficiently. The Principal reports directly to the LPFN Education Director and may be required to report to other LPFN authorities (i.e., school board, Chief and Council, etc.)
LPFN seeks an educational leader passionate about building a safe, dynamic school and leading the way to student achievement and success. An innovative, driven, and down-to-earth educational leader committed to fostering a culture of inclusivity that can motivate staff toward instructional excellence, create collaborative approaches with support agencies and build healthy communication with the parents and community, all with the focus that “every child matters.” Ideally, a professional with the following skills and abilities:
• Experience in collaborating and directing teachers and support staff to provide quality instruction to ensure student achievement is the priority.
• Excellent understanding of Manitoba Curricula (including Vocational Programs) and differentiated instruction.
• Knowledgeable of effective instructional approaches, and student learning assessment processes, including provincial assessment and measuring student success.
• Knowledgeable of student learning assessment process, inclusive education process, students’ resources, provincial and federal resources, programs, etc.
• Experienced instructional approaches that will prepare LPFN students for a seamless transition to the Portage la Prairie School Division public school system.
• Experienced in program development and implementation to support nonprovincial mandated education, such as First Nations Language and Culture program. Actively support the implementation of Ojibwe/Dakota language, cultural knowledge, pedagogy, and land-based student learning approaches.
• Experience working with community Elders, Knowledge-keepers, and school staff to provide a strong language and culture program for the students of LPS.
• Experience in creating a safe learning environment and promoting a positive school atmosphere.
• Ability to work with relevant resources programs and agencies, parents and community members involved in cultivating a shared vision and school plan.
• Previous success with the development and implementation of short and long-term school-based plans.
• Proficiency in various computer applications in a network environment and experience with and understanding of school-based technology.
• Other duties as assigned and/or outlined in the job description.
• Bachelor of Education degree;
• Valid Manitoba Teacher’s Certificate (or eligibility for);
• Master’s Degree in Education/Administration and/or Certificate in School Leadership would be an asset;
• At least five years of teaching experience and five years of administrative experience;
• Ability to speak an Indigenous language would be preferred, but not required.
LPFN provides a competitive salary, and comprehensive benefits, which can be discussed further in an interview.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants are invited to forward a cover letter, resume with two references from your latest employers, copies of qualifications including certificate number(s) and Current Criminal Record Check (with Vulnerable Sector Check) and Child Abuse Registry Check to: Human Resources – Email: [email protected]