What is the Moderna Vaccine?
The Moderna Vaccine is used to prevent COVID-19. The vaccine teaches our cells how to make a protein that will trigger an immune response without using the live virus that causes COVID-19. Antibodies protect us from being infected if the real virus does enter our body in the future.When a person is given the vaccine, their cells will read the genetic instructions like a recipe and produce the spike protein. After the protein piece is made, the cell breaks down the instructions and gets rid of them.
The cell then displays the protein piece on its surface. Our immune system recognizes that the protein doesn’t belong there and begins to build an immune response by making antibodies.
• The vaccine DOES NOT change a person’s DNA
• The vaccine IS NOT made with COVID-19
• You CAN NOT get COVID-19 from the vaccine
Who can get the Moderna Vaccine?
Long Plain Health Services is receiving enough vaccine to vaccinate ANYONE OVER 18 YEARS OLD, who live on-reserve. We are also taking appointments for off-reserve band members in the surrounding area.
You can also get your vaccine at one of the supersites in Winnipeg or Brandon if you are First Nations and over 53 years old (changes frequently). You can book your appointment by calling 1-844-626-8222
How do I get a vaccine?
Long Plain Health Services staff are planning for clinics in the next few weeks. We are receiving almost 1200 doses of vaccine.
This vaccine IS NOT like the flu vaccine..
• it needs to be used within 30 days of it being delivered to the Health Center
• we cannot “save” a shot for you, once the vial of vaccine is taken out of the fridge it needs to be used within 12 hours, and once we open the vial it has to be used within 6 hours
If you have questions about the vaccine, please contact one of the nurses at Long Plain Health Center — 204-252-2369